Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Watch Out For The Knives

When we got married we got fancy, new, sharp knives. About a month or so after the wedding I was washing dishes and had put the large butcher knife in the soapy water. I forgot about it and stuck my right hand in the water. My pinky finger paid the price. I really should have gone to the hospital to get a couple stitches, but I decided against it. It took over a month for my finger to heal. I had learned my lesson and now I never leave the knives in the soapy water.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was making salsa to take to a surprise party for my friend Molly. It was around 9:30 in the morning. I had a busy day ahead of me, get my hair cut, pick up cupcakes, go to the Andersons' and party. As I was cutting the green onions for the salsa, my left thumb ended up under the sharp knife. The cut was similar to what happened to my pinky finger. I applied pressure and finished making the salsa one handed. I rushed around the house getting dressed and gathering my things for the day, I wouldn't have time to come back home until after the party! I drove to urgent care and got all signed in. At urgent care, when you get called to triage, they take your blood pressure and such then usually send you back to the waiting room. When your finger is covered in blood and you have a cut, they still take your blood pressure and such, but then they take you straight back to a room to see the doctor!

The doctor came in, and for those of you who watch 30 Rock, sounded like and had the same type of mannerisms as Dr. Spaceman. He was hilarious! He numbed up my entire thumb because it was safer than trying to put the novacaine close to the wound. Having the novacaine put in my thumb hurt a million times worse than almost cutting the tip off. As my thumb was becoming super numb and swollen, I soaked it in warm soapy water to clean it off. The doctor came back in and started to stitch me up. I was fascinated with the entire process! I couldn't feel a thing, but saw him put a needle and thread through my skin. Crazy. Now I have two stitches in my thumb. I'm glad I opted for the doctor route this time. My thumb will be healed in a week, as opposed to my pinky that took over a month! Here are some pictures I took with my phone in urgent care.


My thumb, pre-novacaine and cleaning.



Soaking in soapy water to clean it.



All stitched up!


My stitches!

2 comments:

  1. GROSS!!!! I'm glad you got it taken care of, but I think 1 picture would have been sufficient for me. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Haley! You should have brought your tripod to urgent care and had a self portrait photo shoot. Maybe even have taken some pictures with the doctor, the nurse, the facitlies etc... would have made a great scrapbook!! lytm

    ReplyDelete